Innovative Practices 2013 on Employment
A new approach to labour inclusion
|Name of Innovative Practice:||A new approach to labour inclusion|
|Organisation:||The Trust for the Americas – Organization of American States/POETA|
Through a combination of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and Adaptive Technologies, POETA provides persons with disabilities with the necessary skills for improving their participation in the labour market and becoming more independent.
POETA Accessible centres provide holistic, inclusive technological and professional training that increases job opportunities for people with disabilities.
– Low education level of people with disabilities due to the lack of accessible public education opportunities
– Lack of certification for labour competencies
– Social barriers and misconception about disability
– Demand mapping of the labour market to promote awareness of jobs suited to participants’ educational background
– Established alliances with local enterprises, providing ICT training according to the needs of the community
– Support of local partners – more than 1,500 allied businesses participated in awareness campaigns and activities
– Positive impacts
– Recommendations for labour inclusion to the General Assembly of the Organization of American States
– A regional exchange of knowledge about job opportunities for people with disabilities through a website in which employers post their vacancies
IMPLEMENTATION IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES
POETA began in Guatemala in 2004. The initiative has since expanded to 14 countries in Latin America: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, México, Panamá, Perú, Puerto Rico, República Dominicana and Venezuela.
Click here to add your own text